Friday, May 15th 2015
Check back for updates on springs-related meetings and events. Also sign up for the Springs email list for special announcements.
Use the calendar in the right column to change the date.
Friday, May 8th, 2015
Florida Springs - Jean Blackburn & Margaret Ross Tolbert
Runs through Saturday, June 6th, 2015
Time & Place
Visual Arts Center of Northwest FL; 19 E.4th Street, Panama City, FL
May 8 - June 6, 2015
Opening Reception May 8, 6-8pm CDT
Contemporary Florida artists Jean Blackburn and Margaret Ross Tolbert create art about the beauty and wonder of Florida's natural springs. This exhibit pairs Jean Blackburn's paintings with Margaret Ross Tolbert's Sirena series.
TUE / THURS: 10am - 8pm CDT
WED / FRI / SAT: 10am - 6pm CDT
SUN / MON: Closed
Friday, May 15th, 2015
2015 National Speleological Society - Cave Diving Section Workshop
Runs through Sunday, May 17th, 2015
Time & Place
6:30 PM Friday, May 15 - 9:30 PM Sunday, May 17
Robert B. Harkness Armory; 490 NW Lake Jeffery Road, Lake City, FL
Join us for the 2015 NSS-CDS Workshop and Membership meeting. This year we take a look at “New Age Exploration” with the emphasis being on recent and ongoing exploration projects happening around the world. Presentations include:
- Dr. Peter Buzzacott – In 2008 Dr Buzzacott and colleagues at the Divers Alert Network (DAN) published a detailed analysis of more than 300 American cave diving fatalities. His presentation will review highlights from that project, describe cave diving near-miss and fatality research currently underway at DAN, and he will describe how to participate in this research.
- Brett Hemphill – Ongoing exploration of Twin Dees and Weeki Wachee. Covering the team exploration efforts of the Karst Underwater Research (KUR) group.
- Chip Peterson & Robbie Schmittner – Discussing their exploration of Giant Cave, Winter Wonderland, Boca Ciega, and more. Armed with Closed Circuit Rebreathers and other tools that were not available to Paul Heinerth and other early explorers, Robbie and Chip have pushed beyond the early exploration and continue to push further into this sparsely explored cave system.
- Bob Schulte – Bob will be presenting regarding the status of ongoing survey projects, effective teamwork-based methodologies to obtain survey data, and the use of computer programs for data assembly and map presentation.
- Edd Sorenson – Ongoing exploration projects in the Marianna, FL area, including a big push in Jackson Blue.
More Presentations To Come....
Not only will there be great presentations, but also tons of door/raffle prizes. Everyone that attends will receive one ticket at the door with the opportunity to increase your chance of winning by purchasing extra tickets. Prizes will include lights, computers, harnesses, reels, and much more.
Be sure to attend the Friday Night Social, held at the Armory. This is a great kickoff to the Workshop with a time to socialize with friends and meet new ones. There will be hamburgers, hotdogs, and more.
Sunday guided dives, clinics, and workshops to come. More information will be announced as the date gets closer.
Registration information available at the website below:
Runs through Friday, May 15th, 2015
Time & Place
9:00 AM EDT
Silver Springs State Park; 1425 NE 58th Avenue; Ocala, FL 34470
Free with regular park admission.
Wear your best walking shoes and join Park Rangers for a burst of exercise. Enjoy a brisk walk in the gardens along the Silver River as the woods wake up. This group will take a spin around the garden loops for about a mile.
352-236-7148 | Web
Find Related Info: